Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Ola Chicos - The workshops

 It's plural because I am move around quite a bit.   But all my workshops have one thing in common :  they are all called : "Repair d'El Vis".  

The history behind the name "Le repair d'El Vis" is one resulting of a rock'n roll discussion with my best mate and litres of a specific yellow liquid we consume without moderation in the south of France - the famous Pastis of Marseille, more specifically the one called "Ricard".  My friend was arguing that my workshop was lacking identity and needed a name, and that the name had to be linked to Sex, bike and RnR.  So we came up with "Repair d'El vis".  

Now follow up the explanation carefully :  Repair sounds like Repère in French which means place or venue where one can work on bikes. ElVis stands for Elvis the King, but Vis also means bolt in French, which can also associated with Vice linking it to sex.  Therefore the names covers : bikes, sex and Rock n Roll.  Bit confusing but we had about 3-4 grams of alcohol in our body.   

My first workshop was in Norway, outside Oslo, I rented some space from Knut.    



When I left norway and relocated to the South of France, I used all my savings to extend the house I had just purchased to build my second workshop.  I drafted the floor plan.

Destroyed what was left of the small garage next to my house, and build according to plan. 





And I opened the workshop with some friends.  



But 2 years later, I had the itch to move again.  Se I relocated to the US.  So we temporarily closed El Vis Repair in France and moved lock stock and barrel to Houston.   Where I started working out of the corner of the garage of the rented villa we live in, and then move in a small house where, I remounted the 3rd Repair d'Elvis. 






No comments:

Post a Comment