Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Ola Chicos - FXD 1996

 


This is my baby.... When I could finally afford to buy a bike in 1998, I set my eyes on a brand new sportster.   When I came out of the shop, the owner told me : "see you in few months, to get a bigger one".   What a wanker I thought, I was penny less having spend all my money on the bike and he wanted to upgrade to bigger cylinder already.....  Fast forward 6 months, I found the FXD without any modification apart from the paint and bought it after I sold my sportster.   She has been with me since 1998, for more than 20 years now.   She has taken me across the middle east, and5across Europe.  She has always been loyal, on one occasion the exhaust broke down 30 meters from my house after having ridden for 2500km.   

My first modification to the bike was to lower the back by putting 10,5" progressive suspension, change the seat and the handle bars.  It stayed like this for about one year, until I got to France.   

Then I changed the exhaust, the ignition to screaming eagle and the carb to S&S.  I widen the fork and add some 3deg incline to the triple tree, added a fatboy head light, and removed front fender.  

It stayed like this until I move to Norway and then the real work started.   

I wanted to widen the rear and move from standard 130 to 200.  Same for the front where I wanted to go fm 90 to 130.  To do this I needed a new rear fender which required cutting the struts so it could fit.   At the same time, I had no more support so I welded a steel plate to hold the fender.  It also require removal of the gear box to add a spacer to accommodate the 200.    Then when this was done, I change the lights, changed the handle bar, put ISR commands, change brakes, and did some cosmetic work by removing the tank console and welded a pop up gas cap.   I had a painter do the logo, but after driving for a while, there was leaks and had to take it apart and have it repainted.  Also, did some work on the exhaust by curving it 30 degrees up to give a more aggressive look.  Have a look at the video to see the changes. 

Then few years later, I powder coated the wheels and repainted the tanks and rear tyre.  


Last year, I had a another leak in the tank and the front lights needed an upgrade so order a tear drop from WW Cycle in Germany, change the rear suspension, and change the front light.   Still work to be done but that's why she is here...

No comments:

Post a Comment