Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Ola Chicos - Ironhead 1979 - Rigid Chopper

 First build in 2009.   

As mentioned in my intro, I started building when I lived in Norway.  I had purchased an old, already somewhat modified Ironhead from Arne at Customs Service and after riding through the summer, it was time to 
dismantle and start building.



But as it was my first project, I didn't want to start building a frame, so I order a rigid from L&L Chopper in Holland that I went to pick up myself.  

And after purchasing most of the spare, I started with trial and errors.  






But I wasn't happy with the tank (too big), wasn't happy with the rear fender, nor with the front wheel or handle bar.  So, sourced an old peanut tank from the net, bought an uncut rear fender, and order a 21 inch front wheel.   



And then I started welding all the auxiliary part such as the seat, the oil tank and filter, and then move on to fabricate the exhaust. 

And when I was more or less happy with the mock up, I sent everything for painting (back then I wasn't yet a certified painter).  and started rebuilding and wiring when it came back. 

And gradually, I finished my project. 

Sent the front wheel for painting and sent it back to Custom Service to have it checked by a real professional and I was good to go...



Few month later, one journalist came into the workshop to check one of Knut's bike and saw mine.  He wanted to do an article on the bike.  Little did I know but one month later I was on front page of Biker Journalen, Norway's largest custom bike publication....


No comments:

Post a Comment