Friday, February 9, 2024

Oli caballeros

 Well, let's start by wishing everyone a happy new year....As usual in Dubai, winter time is riding season, so kept on riding, had few incidents, bought something new, working on new project, got my 2024 racing license, etc....  So all going well on the bike front.   

Started as usual with usual desert ride on saturday with Motozone.   And for first time, was not able to keep up with the experienced group.   Really felt troubled, had no pace and no stamina.   Luckily, few lads dropped before me, so cut the ride short and rode back to base with them.   It really troubled me for few days, so one week after I decided to go back on track and work on my technic.   However, Brett was in for a short ride due to family commitment and since we are more or less on same level, I decided to join him to gas station and back.   A solid one hour ride, at high speed and sensation went right back to where they are supposed to be.   

Then, decided to do some urban enduro with my GS.  And that was a mistake.  I tried to jump over some high concrete sidewalk (to avoid traffic), did it at fairly high speed and the skid plate hit the curb damaging the lower engine.   
I was furious at myself for making such a beginner mistake.   The skid plate is normally fixed on the bike with rubber mount, however as I discovered the previous owner might have replace the rubber with some solid concrete space leaving no leeway to the skid plate if the rider hit something concrete.   Hence damaging the engine.   And considering the GS engine is made of one unit, the whole engine needed repair and welding.  
Jorge and his team did a pretty good job patching things up, however, the engine is only good for road riding as any other hit will permanently ruin the motor.   Problem is, no one would want to buy a bike with a damaged engine even if its for road use, unless the guy knows what h
e has in hand.   As a good samaritan, I more or less gave the bike away to young lad from sub-continent who would probably never have been able to afford such bike as such young age.   bye bye my dear beamer and thank you for getting me into adventure biking and max enduro ....
So the hunt was on for a new bike.  I did not want to go back to BMW or any other big trail bikes such as the KTM 1290, was more focused on getting a dual bike, of a lighter weight and more versatility for the middle eastern terrain.   
I tried the Husky 701 and the KTM 690 but they were, in my opinion to close to the sensation I have on my 450 which I ride in the desert, and considering I want a dual sport bike, I felt they were too agressive.  I settled for the Tenere 700, a good combination.   As it turned out, Michael from X enduro was selling his, and knowing him, I knew she has been well taken care off.   So, swop was made and a new T7 entered my garage.  
Michael has done some upgrades to the bike with more racing decal, which I have reordered already as it is damaged in few places, but most importantly, he has changed the rear exhaust which is better protected in case of falls.   The only thing missing in my opinion, is a high front fender like the one below.


So I ordered one from Alt rider in the US and will mount it when I receive it.  Originally, I had plan to change front end with vintage tenere kit from Unit Garage but ultimately decided not to and keep modern racing look. 


After getting my confidence back on the cfr450, I teamed up with Karl for another Rally Raid through the United Arab Emirates, going from Dubai to Fujairah.   


10 of us, left early morning and reached Fujairah at sunset.   
Going thru various terrain, sand, gravel, rocks, mountains.  Click on the link below for some gopro footage of the day. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__fgkZQAkmY

Upcoming this weekend is full day at the Dubai Autodrome track on International circuit configuration. 


A week in Canada to see my daughter but also to do a snow mobile raid, and the long waited weekend in Liwa in the empty quarter early march. 
 

And moving towards racing, got my new Baja racing license 

to participate in the dubai enduro cross race in April and AbuDhabi Baja Challenge 




Awright folks, that's all for this beginning of the year.   I will talk about another project of mine shortly, meanwhile and as usual, some random shite stollen from the net.  




















 

No comments:

Post a Comment