Monday, June 3, 2024

Ola Amigos

 

Well riding season in Dubai is reaching the end.   Last weekend at 11h30 it was already 47 deg Celsius with high humidity making standing outside unbearable.

So, to finalize 2024 winter riding season before it restarts in Oct, GOT organized a swap meet at Café Rider which was well attended.   And for the sum of 100aed, I ended up buying some soft side luggage which normally goes for 10 or 15 time that price.   A bargain….



The day after George, Ewan, Andrew, and myself set ourselves to hit the wadis with our adventure bikes thought George and Andrew selected to ride their EXC.  



The Tenere handled very well.  

The pace in the group was great and we covered lot of terrain during short amount of time.   With only one exception, which cost us dearly in the heat when Andrew gone in reconnaissance drove over some barbwire which took 30 min to remove.  

With the heat reaching its peak, we opted for our favourite Paratha place and cool down over there before heading home. 

Meanwhile the CRF was at the shop for overhaul of the engine (top end and gear box), change of seat cover, bearings change, rear chain guard and protection.  


I picked it up on Sunday to run in the engine and it feels like brand new.  I have removed the 11L tank and put the original back in because I had contemplating selling it to free up some cash for next year rally season, but she is just too valuable.     

In preparation for next year riding season where I intend to race in the Dubai Intl Baja, Abu Dhabi Baja series, and ideally the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge, I have been torn in mounting my CRF into a rally bike or simply buy the Kove 450 which had great review and could be a good beginner’s bike.  

After numerous sleepless nights, and prior to heading to Europe for work, I decided to sell my Ducati Panigale and take the cash to buy the Kove 450 Rally. 



If I want to do track days next year, then I will simply rent a bike.   In addition, I want to try other track bikes and experience different sensation on different bikes.   So, I took the cash from the Ducati and headed over to Velocity Bike to buy the Kove 450 Rally.   I store the Kove at home and headed over to Europe for work.   I managed to spend a weekend at home and say hello to my Harleys and Vespa.   

I charged them overnight but none of them started in the morning.   I wanted to take a quick spin into town but couldn’t.   Let’s hope for better outcome when I go back to France end of June.  

With the bike in the shop, one weekend on Track, I had not been in the desert for almost one month (apart from running in the CRF).   So, I came back to Dubai and was looking for desert action despite the heat.  

On Saturday, I joined the community ride with Seb. 


It was first time out since the engine rebuilt.   She handled beautifully and I really enjoyed my morning.  

 
Then on Sunday, it was time to try the Kove off-road.   First feeling is mixed if I compare with the CRF though one is a MX bike and the other a Rally bike.   The bike wobble on straight line in the sand, it lacks power at low rev, suspension feel soft, and the stock tyre are not made for dunes.   Despite this, the bike feels easy to handle.  So, if I install a steering damper to stop the wobbling, adjust the suspension, install a competition ECU/exhaust to gain more power, and put proper desert tyre, I should be in very good position. 

As the riding season in the Middle East slows down and I will also be taking a break in Europe for few weeks, I will use this time to physically prepare for next season.  I realise that unless my body is fit, I won’t be able to progress but most importantly to enjoy.   My plan for next 3 months to build the physical foundation to be fit for next season by doing 1hr of cardio, ½hr strengthening, 1/2hr of mobility exercise per day throughout the summer. 

As usual, few pics stolen from the net. 



No comments:

Post a Comment